Belt Making Course
Date, Times and Location
About the Event
During this three day course you will make two unlined full English Bridle Belts.
Another term for this course is strap making and is akin to bridle work, watch straps, dog collars, bag straps and harness. You will not be taught how to make a ‘Students’ level belt, but rather you will be taught how to make belts the way I make them. Stitching only, no rivets or studs.
In view of this, a lot of detail will be included.
An example of these skills will include:
1. Template Making. Rarely undertaken by many but actually rather important. The lack of a good template can lead to inconsistencies and errors that will not be noticed until the belt is complete. A good Template will avoid this.
2. Measuring. Another opportunity to introduce a short fall in the belt is the failure to measure correctly. This will be discussed initially but will crop up rather constantly throughout the course.
3. Cutting Straps for Belts. A number of different ways of cutting straps will be looked at.
4. Edging. This is dressing the edge of the belt and this will cover a range of subjects, Bevelling, Slicking Creasing and dying will all be covered.
5. Stitch Marking. A very important subject in belt making and one which is not focused on enough. The belief is that the stitching is only short and it can’t been seen once the belt is worn so needs little attention. This cannot be further from the truth, Stitching and Stitch Marking feature quite heavily in this subject along with the specific style of stitching used on belts and straps.
6. Fancy Stitching. This subject will be covered in the form of a discussion and demonstration. If time allows though, Fancy Stitching can be added to your second belt.
Belt One will have a loose, stitched in keep. This is ideal for when a metal keep is to be added or if a stitched in keep proves to be to challenging.
Belt Two will sport a stitched in keep. Harder to achieve but far more rewarding and smacks of a significant rise in quality.
If time allows, demonstrations will be given on lining and raising a belt.
- Belt Making Course - Now Full£495£4950£0